Despite the fact that it’s Sunday morning, I was able to wake up and smell the roses with a form rejection letter in the mail. A form rejection letter at that. [Depressed hang of head].
But at least we learned something from it, yes?
Palooka: A Journal of Underdog Excellence
Official submission response time: under a month
My personal submission response time: 11 days
The rest of my submissions:
- Painted Bride Quarterly (date submitted: January 4th; what submitted: 1 fiction, 1 non-fiction)
- Cicada (date submitted: February 16th; what submitted: 2 poems)
- matchbook (date submitted: March 7th; what submitted: 1 short short fiction)
- The Susquehanna Review (date submitted: March 14th; what submitted: 1 fiction, 2 non-fiction)
- Zahir (date submitted: April 25th; what submitted: 1 fiction)
- Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle (date submitted: May 11th; what submitted: 1 non-fiction)
- Brevity (date submitted: May 19th; what submitted: 1 non-fiction)
- Owl Eye Review (date submitted: June 1st; what submitted: 1 non-fiction
- storySouth (date submitted: June 1st; what submitted: 1 fiction)
- Weave magazine (date submitted: June 1st; what submitted: 1 non-fiction)
I did send an email to Cicada, politely wondering if my submissions have been lost or forgotten, but didn’t get a response to the email (I sent it 2 weeks ago). What do you do when that happens? How long do you wait before you email them again? Should I try a different means of contact? (Even though they don’t have one, to my knowledge). Any helpful advice out there?