As I mentioned earlier, I was slammed with a load of rejection letters this week. This means that I need to start up the submission process again. However, I’ve kind of run out of ideas of where to send my writing. Does anybody have any recommendations for literary journals to submit fiction and creative non-fiction to? Or a resource that lists submission-accepting publications? How do you research and discover new literary journals?
On a side note, I did learn about a really neat new boutique publisher of long form non-fiction. The Atavist only publishes Kindle singles (and the same stories on other e-reader platforms, like the Nook, and iPad). If you like reading non-fiction stories and journalism that’s too long to fit in a magazine and too short to be a book, go read “My Mother’s Lover” or “Lifted” (my two personal favorites). I’m a big fan of this seemingly new genre of writing. They accept pitches, so if you are itching to write one consider querying them. They seem to do a pretty fair payment price split (50/50, I believe).
My current short story submission status:
- Painted Bride Quarterly (date submitted: January 4th; what submitted: 1 fiction, 1 non-fiction) Official Response Time: unknown
- Cicada (date submitted: February 16th; what submitted: 2 poems) Official Response Time: up to 4 months
- Zahir (date submitted: April 25th; what submitted: 1 fiction) Official Response Time: 1-2 months
- storySouth (date submitted: June 1st; what submitted: 1 fiction) Official Response Time: 2-6 months
- Weave magazine (date submitted: June 1st; what submitted: 1 non-fiction) Official Response Time: 3 months
It’s been just over two months for my Zahir submission, so maybe I’ll be hearing back from this week.
Now, back to bed. Good luck with your writing, submissions, and literary journal hunting. And good luck to me on recovering.